Barking dog alerts sleeping family to blaze in their home
A MUM has told how their dog saved the lives of her family after a fire broke out at their home.
Kerry Jubb, 44, was roused from her sleep in the middle of the night when her greyhound Edward, a normally placid dog, would not stop barking.
She discovered flames shooting out of her en suite bathroom, with smoke pouring into her bedroom.
Her screams woke her son Linden, 15, who has a long-term disability, and daughter Kelsey, 20, whose foot was bandaged after an accident.
Combi Boiler **5 Year Warranty** Supply and Fitted £960.00View details
Combi Boiler fitted for £960.00
Ideal Logic boiler
Please inquire for further details
further costs incur if gas supply needs repiping to gas meter
further costs incur if condensate drain point further then 3 meters from boiler
Contact: 01482 423356
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Edward then led the family through the thick, choking smoke to safety, just as fire crews arrived at their home.
Now, Edward, a rescue dog adopted by the family from Hull Greyhound Rescue, looks set to be nominated for a bravery award.
"The firemen said Edward had definitely saved our lives," said Kerry. "There is no way I would have woken up in time."
Kerry, a full-time carer for her son, who has ME and chloesteatoma, a cyst in the middle of the ear, said Edward woke her up in the early hours of the morning.
"I remember shouting at him to stop barking and go back to sleep," she said.
"Normally, he is so calm and chilled. I thought he wanted to go to the toilet. He wouldn't stop barking, so I climbed out of bed.
"But I couldn't see Edward – the room was that thick with smoke.
"I saw flames coming out of the en-suite. It was extremely frightening."
Woken by her screams, Linden met his mother in the hallway.
"I shouted at Linden to go and grab his sister," said Kerry. "We got out as quickly as we could, but Kelsey's foot was all strapped up."
Kerry, a Reiki practitioner and equine healer, was taken by ambulance to Hull Royal Infirmary, where she was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.
She spent the night in hospital under observation and is now recovering at the family's four-bedroom bungalow in Tickton.
Her children did not require hospital treatment because of Edward's prompt action.
Before he went to live with the Jubb family, Edward showed the hallmarks of mistreatments. Rescuers believed he had been burned with cigarettes and starved.
"I love him to pieces," said Kerry. "He had a really hard life before he came to us.
"But we were patient with him and he came round. We have earned his trust. Now he has rescued us.
"Edward always sleeps on the floor next to me. For the past few days, he's been lying on me, looking after me as I recover."
Firefighters told Kerry the blaze had been caused by a tealight candle, which she thought she had put out before she went to sleep.
She said: "The en suite will need to be ripped out. There is also some damage to part of the roof. But it could have been a lot, lot worse."
Kerry's mother Christine, 70, said: "Edward was very badly treated before my daughter took him in. So we think he was repaying the favour."
Sue Markham, of Hull Greyhound Rescue, said: "Edward was very thin when he came to us from the south of the country.
"He had some nasty scars on him. It looked as though he was burned by cigarette stubs."
Mrs Markham said greyhounds make perfect pets. She said: "They are so loyal.
"They always seem to know if you are having a good day or a bad day, which is what I love about them.
"Greyhounds do not ask for a lot and I regularly rehome them with elderly and disabled people."
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service looks set to nominate Edward for a national bravery award, presented to animals who save their owners.
A brigade spokesman advised caution when using candles.
He said: "Although candles are attractive, they should always be used with care. They should always be fully extinguished after use and never left unattended.
"Fortunately, on this occasion, the occupier was alerted to the fire by her dog. However, pets should not be relied upon to alert you to a fire.
"We would advise residents to have a smoke alarm fitted."