Bid to block fortnightly black bin collections for Hull is thrown out
ATTEMPTS to halt plans for fortnightly black bin collections in Hull have failed.
Lib Dem and Conservative councillors "called in" the decision after the Labour-controlled cabinet decided to move to fortnightly bin collections.
The opposition councillors claimed many people in the city were not in favour of the change, with just 26 per cent of 20,000 residents surveyed wanting fortnightly collections for blue and black bins.
The move will help save the council £1m as it looks to make £33m of savings over the next two years.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
Councillors at an overview and scrutiny committee meeting yesterday voted to reject the call-in by six votes to four.
Lib Dem councillor Claire Thomas put forward the case to call in the decision and force the administration to consider other options.
She is concerned the matter was rushed through cabinet without being referred to the likes of the Environment and Transport Scrutiny Committee.
She said: "This is clearly a decision that affects everyone in the city and people talk about this all the time.
"I am shocked those behind the decision didn't feel there was any point in referring the matter to any other committees.
"I find the idea that scrutiny doesn't have a role to play very concerning.
"I can't understand why there are no other available options. Surely there are others that could save money."
Cllr Thomas also raised concerns over the speed in which the decision was made and why it wasn't in the administration's forward plan, which documents when major policy decisions are scheduled to be made.
She said: "I don't understand what the urgency is and why this wasn't included in the forward plan.
"There is no indication of the number of job losses and there is a lack of other information to make this a safe decision."
But portfolio holder for the environment Councillor Martin Mancey believes the move to call in the decision was politically motivated.
He said: "Cllr Thomas has not made any alternative suggestions that will help save the council £1m.
"This is adopting a purely negative approach.
"I think the decision taken by cabinet is the right one.
"There will be a significant communication exercise between now and the implementation date to let the public know exactly what is going on.
"As well as saving money, this will encourage recycling."
The move to end the traditional weekly collection system for non-recyclable household waste bins was decided earlier this month.
The savings will come from shedding jobs in the refuse department and operating fewer refuse vehicles.
The exact number of jobs under threat has not been announced and will now be subject to negotiations with trade unions.