Body found close to where children were due to play football
THOUSANDS of people attending a football tournament in an East Riding village were caught up in a police investigation after the discovery of a body.
The body was discovered in woods close to the village of Sproatley following a search by police officers and the force helicopter.
Police are not treating the death as suspicious.
Hundreds of children, some as young as six, had been due to take part in the 43-team tournament hosted by Sproatley Juniors Football Club, one of the biggest events of its kind in East Yorkshire.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
They were moved away from the pitches, close to where the body was found, before the organisers called off the tournament.
Club chairman Simon Copeman said: "As soon as we became aware of what had happened, the first reaction of the Sproatley managers and the teams involved was to move the young children away from the area.
"Once we had done that, we called all the managers together so we could inform the parents.
"The club members rallied round and dealt with the situation very professionally."
Two under-seven teams had been due to play close to where the body was found.
Mr Copeman said: "As soon as we realised how serious it was, we had no other option but to cancel the game.
"Our primary concern was the welfare of the children.
"Our thoughts go out to the family at this traumatic time."
The Mail understands all the children in the tournament were moved away from the scene without seeing the body.
The Sproatley tournament had started on Saturday and Mr Copeman said it was too soon to tell if yesterday's matches would be rescheduled.
"In the long term, we will make a club decision as to whether we will try to replay the tournament," Mr Copeman said.
"If we decide to replay, there are other teams we will need to speak to.
"One of the things that has been mooted is a fun day for the village, with matches alongside an open day for the tennis club."
Yesterday's tournament was due to start at 10.30am, shortly after the body was discovered.
First aid volunteers on hand for the football matches offered their services to police but were unable to help.
Inspector Steve Beveridge was involved in managing the police operation in Sproatley.
He said: "A large number of police were involved in the incident, including a police helicopter.
"We can reassure the public that there were no suspicious circumstances and there is nothing for them to be concerned about."
Police had been searching for a missing person before the body was found.
The person who died is believed to be from the area, and is thought to have taken their own life.
Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the death.
Hundreds of players aged between six and 13 were due to have taken part in the tournament.