Boys' minibus attack 'could have been fatal'
THUGS cracked a children's home's minibus windscreen in an attack police say could have been fatal.
The white Mercedes Benz bus was being driven along Bellfield Avenue in east Hull.
As it passed St Mark's Church, two boys threw a heavy object at it from the roof of a nearby garage.
The driver and three passengers were not hurt – but officers said someone could have been killed.
This Friday Mexican night at The Black Bull, Burton Pidsea, Two...View details
Indulge with our delicious range of specially selected Mexican dishes available from 5pm to 8:30pm this Friday 21st June. Traditional evening menu also available.
Terms: Terms: Friday the 21st June only, from 5pm to 8:30pm. Offer includes two main Mexican courses. Minimum 2 people dining.
Contact: 01964 770402
Valid until: Saturday, June 22 2013
Inspector Bill Grieve, of East Hull Neighbourhood Policing Team, said: "We think we have an idea who this might have been.
"It is extremely dangerous to throw anything at traffic or anyone in a moving vehicle.
"This could have resulted in a death."
The attack happened at 6.30pm at June 13.
It is not known if any children were on board the minibus at the time.
Mr Grieve said police would be looking to prosecute the criminals, despite their young age.
He said: "We are treating this incident very seriously.
"It will result in an arrest, even for the juveniles, because it is so serious."
The inspector called on families to pass on any information they have.
He said: "These kids have parents, and other parents could make inquiries with the children in their area to find out who is responsible."
Officers are visiting schools in the area to warn children against committing similar attacks.
The minibus was being operated from Limetree Court children's home in Middlesex Road, east Hull.
The centre caters for children with disabilities, offering parents and their children the chance to stay for a few nights at a time.
While at the centre, the children get the chance to join in games and activities.
Motorists have died in the past after objects were thrown at their vehicles.
A driver was killed and six people injured in a 2008 dual carriageway pile-up when children threw stones at cars.
John Wells, 28, died after his car was hit by another vehicle.
Two boys and a girl, aged between 12 and 14, were questioned about the accident by police.
Several large stones were found on the road. They had been thrown from a grass verge next to the A465 close to Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales.
And in January this year, two eight-year-old boys admitting throwing lumps of concrete and rubble onto the A14 in Suffolk.
They damaged 13 vehicles, including an ambulance.
Police are appealing for witnesses.
Anyone with information should call Humberside Police on 101, quoting crime reference number 1912545.