Cat killed by anti-freeze in Hull's Spring Bank area
A PET-lover is warning others after her cat was poisoned with anti-freeze.
Leah Ariss and husband Ben were left devastated after their cat Timmy had to be put down.
The couple were concerned about the animal's health before taking him to the vets.
Mrs Ariss, 19, said: "We were moving house, so my mother was looking after him at her home in Spring Bank, when she noticed a change in his behaviour around New Year's Eve.
This Friday Mexican night at The Black Bull, Burton Pidsea, Two...View details
Indulge with our delicious range of specially selected Mexican dishes available from 5pm to 8:30pm this Friday 21st June. Traditional evening menu also available.
Terms: Terms: Friday the 21st June only, from 5pm to 8:30pm. Offer includes two main Mexican courses. Minimum 2 people dining.
Contact: 01964 770402
Valid until: Saturday, June 22 2013
"He was not himself. He was starting to be sick and lying down a lot.
"His eyes were weeping and, before long, he could not move at all."
Worried about her cat, Mrs Ariss booked an appointment with the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals, in Hull's Brunswick Avenue, where blood tests were carried out and he was put on a drip.
A few hours later the couple were told Timmy would not pull through.
"We were told he had been poisoned with anti-freeze," said Mrs Ariss
"It is used as a poison for cats as it attracts them and is very sweet.
"A few pet owners have told us that people who don't like cats are putting anti-freeze out in bowls.
"It cannot be treated unless caught within the first hour of drinking it.
"The vet couldn't do anything else and told us they would have to put him down, as he was in too much pain.
"This was such a sad experience for us, as it was unexpected. He was so young and loved by us all.
"It may sound stupid about being upset about a cat but pet owners will understand."
Mrs Ariss said she wanted to warn others who live in the Spring Bank area that cats and other animals could be in danger.
She said: "Timmy was only three years old. He was a very playful and friendly pet who always liked to explore.
"When he wasn't out he was inside getting all cosy and warm.
"I can't imagine why anyone would do this to an animal."