'Fingers crossed' for Hull's Ings Estate as 2013 set to bring new houses
LONG-suffering residents are hopeful 2013 will see their east Hull housing estate transformed.
Those living on the Ings Estate were left in limbo after the Gateway regeneration funding was pulled out from under them.
But, after a long battle, a "master plan" for new housing has been drawn up and new homes could appear as early as the spring.
Residents have had their say on how the area will look in what is an important step forward after government funding was withdrawn two years ago.
This Friday Mexican night at The Black Bull, Burton Pidsea, Two...View details
Indulge with our delicious range of specially selected Mexican dishes available from 5pm to 8:30pm this Friday 21st June. Traditional evening menu also available.
Terms: Terms: Friday the 21st June only, from 5pm to 8:30pm. Offer includes two main Mexican courses. Minimum 2 people dining.
Contact: 01964 770402
Valid until: Saturday, June 22 2013
In September, they were guided around the exhibition at St Mark's Church in Bellfield Avenue to view plans for 56 new homes by Chevin Housing Association in what will be the first of many.
Without a lead developer, Hull City Council struggled to find funding to compete the regeneration of Ings.
But Compendium Living, a development company set up and jointly owned by Lovell Partnerships and The Riverside Group, which provides affordable housing, has come in to bring forward development.
Resident Trevor Branton, of Bayswater Court, is optimistic. He said: "It's very much a case of 'watch this space'.
"But we have developers in place so it's looking much more rosy.
"We have been shown the plans and it looks good.
"We are keeping our fingers crossed but we have been let down so many times."
Despite the progress made over the past few months, Mr Branton believes there is still much to do.
He said: "I think 2013 is going to be a crucial year.
"We are still short of cash for the rest of the demolition but if the developers keep their word then it should all be ok."
The master plan is an interpretation of the Area Action Plan, which was adopted last year after continuous community involvement.
It involves building 4,000 new homes on cleared sites over a 15-year period.
Councillor John Black, city council portfolio holder for strategic and operational housing, also feels confident regeneration will moved forward quickly.
He said: "We will now see a lot more visible progress.
"Last year was very much about having to deal with the consequences of the abandonment of the Gateway regeneration project by the coalition Government.
"We have the plans and the money in place so we can start making progress.
"Chevin has the money in place with cash from the Government's Affordable Homes programme, so we don't envisage any delays."
Cllr Black has also praised the residents for their part in helping move forward regeneration.
He said: "I would like to compliment the residents' association for its patience and input. They have been worthy allies. All the residents have come together as a community."
The transformation of the estate should begin shortly.
Cllr Black said: "New homes should start being built in the springtime.
"The site in Bellfield Avenue is the right one as these homes will be sold more quickly.
"There is still an issue with the longer term funding but we just need to continue as best we can.
"Not everyone has faith in the process but I am sure we will see the estate transformed."