Hull's flagship Kelvin Hall School closed due to burst water pipe
ONE of the city's flagship new school buildings remains closed for the majority of its pupils today after a water leak.
Kelvin Hall's £27.5m new-look secondary was forced to shut on Friday after a pipe burst, causing damage to the state-of-the-art building.
It is the second time the new Kelvin Hall secondary, built under the Building Schools for the Future (BSF) Programme, has been hit by a leak following its official opening in April.
The school is not expected to reopen fully for all year groups until Wednesday, sparking frustration among parents.
***Free smile and gum health check*** NATIONAL SMILE MONTH MAY...View details
Free smile and gum health check
we are taking part in national smile Month 2013 come and visit us at St Andrews Dental care for a free smile and gum heath check.
EVERYONE IS WELCOME!
SPEAD THE WORD TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
free sample goodie bag and competitions to enter with great prizes to be won.
Complimentary refreshments available.
Contact: 01482 423152
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
One parent said: "This is the second burst pipe that the new build has encountered in less than a year of being opened.
"Our son is in his final year, a pivotal time in his education coming up to his exams next year.
"I think there needs to be thorough analysis of the heating system, which I am led to believe is the reason for the closure and a corrective action to be instilled during official school closures to prevent the potential disruption to any students' exams."
Head teacher Sarah Smythe said the school had made the difficult decision to close because damage had been caused to the new building.
She said: "This decision has not been taken lightly and we are working to minimise the effect on learning for all of our pupils."
The school's Year 11 pupils will be able to attend for maths and English lessons today and tomorrow, from 8.45am to 1.30pm.
But the rest of the secondary's pupils have been told to visit the school's website to check for work which has been set by their subject teachers.
Balfour Beatty, which was responsible for the school's construction, was working over the weekend to find the cause of the problem and clean up.
A spokesman for Balfour Beatty said: "We did have an issue with a leak soon after opening but this is not related to that.
"It's two different parts of the system.
"We are testing the entire heating and hot water system to understand why this has happened."
The spokesman apologised to families and the school's staff for the disruption to lessons.
She said: "We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused the teachers, students and their parents. The health and safety of the students is our prime concern.
"We hope to solve the problem as soon as we possibly can."
The school is keeping parents informed via text message and the school website.
Year 11 pupils should report to the school's sports hall entrance today and tomorrow at 8.45am prompt.