Hull City boss Steve Bruce backs Nick Proschwitz to find form
STEVE Bruce believes his decision to withdraw summer signing Nick Proschwitz from the spotlight can eventually help to launch the striker's career with Hull City.
Proschwitz has endured a difficult start to life in English football since the Tigers shelled out £2.6m to recruit the forward from German outfit SC Paderborn in July.
After failing to score when starting City's first four league and cup games this season, the 25-year-old was reduced to the role of unused substitute for four consecutive fixtures.
A frustrating sequence on the sidelines was ended when Proschwitz emerged as a late substitute in City's 3-1 loss at Leicester on Sunday, where his stoppage-time header was cleared off the line.
CAR KEYS AND REMOTES "FREE REMOTE KEY FOB BATTERY" 01482 423414 ...View details
FOR ALL YOUR CAR KEY NEEDS CALL US NOW ON
SNAPPED KEYS, LOST KEYS, KEYS LOCKED IN VEHICLES,
WE ALSO REPAIR 90% OF ALL REMOTES AND KEYS, NO FIX NO CHARGE.
Terms: Terms: FREE REMOTE KEY FOB BATTERY ONE PER CUSTOMER
Contact: 01482 423414
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
The form of first-choice strikers Jay Simpson and Sone Aluko, who boast six goals between them this term, suggests Proschwitz will have to remain patient in his peripheral role, but Bruce believes that can work in the German's favour.
"I had a conversation with Nick last week and said 'I just want you to take a back seat and look at things from there'," he told the Mail.
"Believe me, it can be the best thing to do with a foreign player when they first come. It gives them a chance just to settle in.
"I think he got caught up in all the ferocity of the Championship and that wasn't easy for him.
"He's disappointed, of course he is, he came here to play football and score goals.
"But taking a back seat will give me a chance to have a look at him and work with him, but also give him a chance to bed in.
"I'm certain he'll still have a big part to play here because he's something different that we haven't got."
A vote of confidence from his manager should serve as a timely boost for Proschwitz as he attempts to force his way back into contention.
The hitman, who finished as the joint top scorer in the German second tier last season, has seen his starting berth usurped by the in-form Simpson since the 0-0 draw at Charlton last month again saw him struggle in his most recent start.
The form of Proschwitz and injury to Matty Fryatt has meant Bruce has only been able to field the strike-force many anticipated would be City's recognised frontline in the League Cup tie with Rotherham.
Fryatt is highly unlikely to feature before City's clash with Ipswich on October 20 as he battles an Achilles injury, but Bruce is keen to see all of his options push for prominence.
"We brought in five outfield players who have settled in straight away and sadly for the big guy, it hasn't worked out yet," added Bruce.
"But he'll turn it around I'm sure. It just shows the way football is.
"We all expected the front two to be Proschwitz and Fryatt before the season, but it's been all about Aluko and Simpson this year.
"That's just how it's worked out. It can soon change for anyone."
DOUGIE Wilson's goal gave City's Reserves a 1-0 win at Shrewsbury.