Hull City lodge interest in Nick Proschwitz and Vito Mannone as Steve Bruce plots transfer breakthrough
STEVE Bruce has every confidence he will be given full financial backing from the Hull City board as he plots his first breakthrough of the transfer window.
Three weeks after his appointment as boss, Bruce has drafted a wish-list as he attempts to add at least “three or four” new signings ahead of the Championship kick-off next month.
Arsenal keeper Vito Mannone and German striker Nick Proschwitz have already been the subject of enquiries from City.
Although Bruce says new arrivals are unlikely before flying off to Portugal for a training camp this weekend, he has faith that his top targets can be landed.
Come and discover the wildlife at Blacktoft Sands nature reserve for just £6. Offer includes entry for 2 adults and up to 3 children, binocular hire and activities for children. Normal value £12.
Terms: Redeem voucher at visitor reception during opening hours, 9am to 5pm. Only, one pair of binoculars per voucher, customers will need to leave car keys as a deposit for binoculars.
Contact: 01405 800024
Valid until: Saturday, June 15 2013
“I’ll tell the supporters now that I wouldn’t have come here if I didn’t think there was ambition from the owner (Assem Allam),” Bruce told the Mail.
“I couldn’t be more pleased with what I’ve heard from the owner.
“He knows I need three or four players and the conversations we’ve had go along the lines of ‘Steve, come and see us and we’ll judge each signing on its
merits.’ That’s all a manager can really ask for.”
Bruce has so far endured a frustrating period in the transfer market after missing out on two of his top keeper targets.
Tomasz Kuszczak joined Brighton last month, while Brad Guzan has told Bruce of his intention to rejoin Aston Villa under new boss Paul Lambert.
That could lead Bruce back to Mannone if City can meet Arsenal’s valuation for the young Italian, but nothing can be done until talks are staged with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.
“Vito’s obviously done very well here by all accounts but we’ll speak with Mr Wenger when he returns from his holiday next week,” said Bruce. “I like the boy but we’ll have to see what the situation is.”
On Guzan, he added: “I thought I was close a couple of days ago but unfortunately Brad decided to stay at Villa.
“That’s disappointing for us because he was our number one choice. It’s a shame but we move on to the next one. Hopefully, by the time we get back from Portugal we’ll have someone in place.”
Bruce has also approached German second division club Paderborn 07 over the availability of forward Proschwitz.
The 25-year-old caught the eye with a return of 17 goals last term and the Mail understands City have indicated a willingness to stump up a significant fee to bring Proschwitz to East Yorkshire.
“We’ve made an enquiry about the availability of Nick,” confirmed Bruce. “It’s someone that interests us but that’s as far as it’s gone at the moment.”
A move for Emile Heskey appears less likely, with Bruce adding: “I’ve worked with Emile before and I think it’s people putting two and two together rather than anything else.”