Hull FC to ease off on recruitment drive after Scott Prince and Jacob Miller disappointments
SHAUN McRae says Hull FC will take a step back from their relentless recruitment pursuit, with the current squad likely to stay the same for the immediate future.
The Hull director of rugby has not ruled out making further additions to Peter Gentle's side before the start of Super League in three months.
However, for the coming weeks at least, it appears the club are determined to keep their powder dry as they assess all options in the wake of missing out on three half-back targets.
Unsuccessful attempts to sign Rangi Chase, Jacob Miller and Scott Prince have dominated headlines in recent months.
A full head colour or 1/2 head highlights, luxury Redken treatment, cut & blowdry for JUST £40 (Save £25) or upgrade to a full head of highlights for JUST £50 (Save £35). Add a spray tan for JUST £10.
Terms: New customers only (not visited salon since 25/02/2013). Monday - Thursday only (including late nights). Savings based on director prices.
Contact: 01482 423178
Valid until: Wednesday, July 31 2013
Admitting the Prince deal in particular became a media story that got beyond their control, Hull now seem intent on keeping future targets under the radar.
Nonetheless, McRae says the club will now evaluate before deciding whether to make any further additions for 2013.
"We all got very excited with the Jacob Miller and Scott Prince situation and myself, Peter Gentle and Adam Pearson have had a chat and agreed to sit back now," McRae told the Mail.
"It went like a bush fire the Prince thing in particular, which we thought we had over the line. We are just going to sit back at the moment after all that.
"If I say we are not going to sign anyone else that is silly, but if I say we are looking at signing one or two people that is also silly to say.
"We are keeping an open mind, but certainly the squad at the moment is our squad for 2013 and whether we add to that, we'll just have to wait and see."
While Hull will assess their half-back options further before deciding on whether to go with what they have or bring in an extra player, the future of Ryan McGoldrick remains in the balance.
McGoldrick told the Mail last month he needed a decision by the end of October on whether Hull wished to keep him on beyond his short-term contract.
That decision has not been given, but McRae has spoken to McGoldrick's agent to let the player know he remains in contention for a new contract.
The Aussie is understood to want a two-year deal with the Black and Whites, with Hull looking at a one-year stay.
But while the length of deal has still to be agreed, McRae says Hull need further assurances regarding McGoldrick's shoulder injury as well as a decision on their own recruitment options before they can proceed.
"I've spoken to Ryan's agent and he understands right at this moment that we are not going to sign him just yet," added McRae.
"We want to get medical reports on his shoulder and have a bit of a think about the balance of the side and the way we want to go.
"We have told him that if something comes up we don't want to stand in his way, but at the same time the deal is not dead."