Hull man rescued from neighbour's roof after cigarette house fire
A MAN had to be rescued from a neighbour's roof after a house fire was started by a cigarette.
Another man had to be rescued and a third was forced to flee the flames after the blaze broke out at the house off Beverley Road.
One man was taken to Hull Royal Infirmary, suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation, while the other two were treated by paramedics at the scene.
The blaze was so intense, the downstairs windows of the house were shattered.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
Now, firefighters are renewing their warnings about the dangers of smoking at home and are urging people to have a working smoke detector fitted.
Keith Evans, of Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, was at the scene.
He said: "This was an intense fire, which was caused by smoking materials.
"It highlights the need for smokers to put safety first.
"It's important to never smoke when feeling tired, always use a proper ashtray that's made of a material that can't burn, such as glass, and always fully extinguish cigarettes when you've finished smoking.
"Thankfully, a smoke alarm was fitted in the property that alerted the occupiers to the fire."
The fire broke out at about 2pm on Saturday in the living room of the terraced house in Grove Street.
Firefighters with breathing apparatus rescued one man from the house while a second man managed to escape on his own.
The third man was rescued from the roof of the neighbouring property by firefighters using a roof ladder.
It is understood the fire was started accidentally and the smoke detector was activated in the house.
The property was so badly damaged on the ground floor, the living room windows have had to be boarded up.
Mr Evans said smoke alarms should be fitted on each floor of a house and they should be tested once a week.
He said: "We would also recommend people have an escape plan and practice it so everyone knows how to get out in the event of a fire."