New temporary Hull site for travellers would benefit all say councillors
TRAVELLERS could get a new temporary site in Hull.
The move has been suggested by councillors after a series of illegal camps across the city over the summer.
At one site in Burnham Road in west Hull, travellers set up camps on three separate occasions, despite efforts by the city council and the police to move them on.
Now, backbench scrutiny councillors have called for the creation of a new temporary site to be reviewed.
A full head colour or 1/2 head highlights, luxury Redken treatment, cut & blowdry for JUST £40 (SAVE £25) or upgrade to a full head of highlights for JUST £50 (SAVE £35). Add a spraytan for JUST £10
Terms: New customer only (not visited salon since 25/02/2013). Monday - Thursday only including late nights. Savings based on directors rates.
Contact: 01482 423178
Valid until: Wednesday, July 31 2013
Councillor Dean Kirk said: "We know the four existing sites in Hull are full and they have permanent pitches anyway.
"What we need is a temporary site where travellers can stay for five or six weeks before moving on.
"The current situation doesn't do anyone any favours."
He said establishing a recognised temporary site would benefit everyone.
Cllr Kirk said: "What we do now is time-consuming and costly for the council, it leaves our residents frustrated and the travellers are forced to move from one site to the next."
Jane Price, an area director at the council, said one option could be to explore the possibility of creating a temporary site on land off Priory Road, where a group of travellers are currently based.
She said: "There doesn't appear to be any serious issues with them at the moment and it's not near any housing."
She said lessons had been learned from this summer's series of incidents involving traveller camps in the city.
She said: "We have had a policy for removing illegal Gypsy and traveller camps since 2002 but it has become increasingly apparent it is time for a review because it has not been working effectively with this core group of travellers moving around different sites.
"Most of the time we had to start the procedure to remove them from scratch, even though we were removing them from the same site on some occasions.
"That ended up being quite time-consuming and delayed our response to moving them on.
"It was also very costly for the council to deal with."
Councillor John Abbott said officials needed to realise the anger residents faced with delays to the legal process involved in clearing illegal camp sites. He said: "Waiting ten days for a case to get to court isn't good enough."