Sex attack report: Women 'unlikely to be at risk', police say
WOMEN in Hornsea are unlikely to be at risk from a sex attacker, police have revealed.
Police were called in to investigate a report that a man indecently assaulted a 16-year-old girl along a quiet country lane in the dead of night.
On Sunday, officers cordoned off the lane near Hornsea Burton Road after the girl said she was attacked at about 3am on Sunday while she was waiting for a taxi.
The lane is close to the Trans-Pennine Trail and is popular with families, dog walkers and schoolchildren.
This Friday Mexican night at The Black Bull, Burton Pidsea, Two...View details
Indulge with our delicious range of specially selected Mexican dishes available from 5pm to 8:30pm this Friday 21st June. Traditional evening menu also available.
Terms: Terms: Friday the 21st June only, from 5pm to 8:30pm. Offer includes two main Mexican courses. Minimum 2 people dining.
Contact: 01964 770402
Valid until: Saturday, June 22 2013
But Humberside Police say, following their initial investigations, they feel it is "unlikely any other girls or women are at risk".
They say the incident is still being investigated. However, there has been no arrest and no description released of any potential offender.
People in Hornsea have voiced their relief after fears were allayed.
East Riding Council North Holderness Ward Councillor Barbara Jefferson said: "It's not a dangerous place, Hornsea. It was alarming to hear about this incident and people will get worried.
"In school times, that path is used by schoolchildren.
"It's nice that people can feel safe in Hornsea. Everyone looks after everyone else here.
"It seems the police have done their job well and done their best to allay fears."
The initial report to police was made at 6am on Monday, three hours after the incident is alleged to have happened.
The teenager said she was approached by a man who pushed her to the ground and indecently assaulted her.
She told them she had resisted and the man ran off in an unknown direction.
Because of the serious nature of the allegation, the girl was interviewed by specially-trained officers while scenes of crime officers examined the area.
Throughout Sunday the lane was cordoned off with police tape.
Officers were on scene from 9.45am until about 5pm. Such a public investigation meant the close-knit community was quickly buzzing with rumours about what had happened.
The fact the girl had been out, apparently alone, in the early hours of the morning in an isolated location, prompted Humberside Police to issue some common sense safety tips.
The standard advice was based on guidance from the Suzy Lamplugh Trust, which was set up by the parents of a 25-year-old estate agent who went missing in 1986.
It says people should always make sure they know how they are getting home and avoid lonely or isolated locations.