Residents' anger as homes plan for former Birds Eye Hessle Road site rejected
A DECISION to reject plans for housing on the former Birds Eye site has been met with anger by residents.
A petition was signed by 130 residents backing plans for the 185-home development at the Hessle Road site last month.
But Hull City Council's planning committee rejected the plans yesterday, claiming the land is important for creating jobs.
The scheme had already been recommended for refusal by planning officials and councillors voted to refuse the plans by nine votes to five, with ward councillor Pete Allen voting in favour of the scheme.
CAR KEYS AND REMOTES "FREE REMOTE KEY FOB BATTERY" 01482 423414 ...View details
FOR ALL YOUR CAR KEY NEEDS CALL US NOW ON
SNAPPED KEYS, LOST KEYS, KEYS LOCKED IN VEHICLES,
WE ALSO REPAIR 90% OF ALL REMOTES AND KEYS, NO FIX NO CHARGE.
Terms: FREE REMOTE KEY FOB BATTERY ONE PER CUSTOMER
Contact: 01482 423414
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
However, Peter Welton, 70, of Forester Way on the Summergroves Way estate, is furious.
He said: "This is disgusting. What is the matter with these councillors?
"The city is badly in need of houses.
I can't understand what they want to do with the site. There are more than 100 empty business properties in Hull and this site hasn't attracted any interested from businesses so far."
The site has lain empty for six years and a previous application by Birds Eye for 260 homes was also rejected in 2010.
Eileen Goffin, 72, of Monmouth Street, said: "I am not surprised by this but I am very disappointed.
"If the council isn't prepared to buy it then let Birds Eye develop it.
"There are plenty of other sites for industrial use and we need housing, this just doesn't make sense.
"We will now have to put up with a derelict site for longer."
Birds Eye wanted to build 185 homes on the land off Hessle Road along with some light industrial units. The site has been empty since the pea processing plant closed in 2007.
CBRE is the agent for Birds Eye and put in the application.
Jay Everett, director of planning, said: "We need to speak to our client but it is very likely we'll appeal this decision.
"This was a sensible compromise to deliver housing and industrial use.
"The whole point is that there hasn't been much interest for just industrial use and employment.
"The housing is needed to spark regeneration in the area. We feel the officers didn't really present the evidence we provided to the councillors."
Pickering ward Councillor Abigail Bell has backed the scheme.
She said: "The situation is ridiculous. The residents support the new plans, the city needs more houses and provision was made for light industrial space. I am struggling to see what certain members of the planning committee found so objectionable.
"Residents have had to wait long enough for the site to be redeveloped."
But, Councillor Tom McVie said: "We have to look at the bigger picture and what is needed for the city in the long term. There is demand locally for employment on this piece of land."