Title fight on, but rival may change
TOMMY Coyle has reassured his fans his bid for the English title is still going ahead despite a potential change of opponent.
Coyle is scheduled to meet Martin Gethin at Hull City Hall on September 28 for the vacant English lightweight title.
But rumours in the Midlands have surfaced suggesting Gethin is about to withdraw from the contest to take up an offer to fight for the Commonwealth title.
Aware of the rumours, Coyle says he's had no contact with the British Boxing Board of Control to inform him of a change of opponent. And he insists, regardless of whether Gethin honours the fight or not, he will still compete for the title on the planned date.
This Friday Mexican night at The Black Bull, Burton Pidsea, Two...View details
Indulge with our delicious range of specially selected Mexican dishes available from 5pm to 8:30pm this Friday 21st June. Traditional evening menu also available.
Terms: Terms: Friday the 21st June only, from 5pm to 8:30pm. Offer includes two main Mexican courses. Minimum 2 people dining.
Contact: 01964 770402
Valid until: Saturday, June 22 2013
"My fight with Gethin has been sanctioned and sectioned by the board and I've not been told anything different. I have heard on the grapevine about Gethin's Commonwealth shot, though," Coyle told the Mail.
"To be fair to him if I was offered a Commonwealth title shot I'd take it too, so if Gethin pulls out I understand why. But I want to reassure people I'm still fighting for the title and if Gethin pulls out the board will appoint someone in the top 10 to face me."
While the BBBC are yet to confirm Gethin's Commonwealth title shot, it is expected to take place, leaving Coyle without an opponent.
High-quality opposition is not in short supply however, with the winner of the bout between Kieran Farrell and Joe Elfidh one possibility. The two meet tomorrow night to compete for the Central Area title vacated by Coyle earlier this year.
Meanwhile, Coyle's sparring partner and former British super-featherweight champion Carl Johanneson is another option.
News of Gethin's possible withdrawal started to filter through this week, with Coyle's long-time feud with St Paul's boxer Curtis Woodhouse again sparking into life.
Taunted by Woodhouse on his Facebook page, Coyle has responded with a put up or shut up threat.
"I am aware I need to step up now and hopefully this year I'll answer some of my critics. I'm thick-skinned and I accept the criticism the way I accept the praise too," added Coyle.
"I've done my apprenticeship and I've said I'll now box anyone in the division. Curtis Woodhouse coming out yet again and trying to start things is no surprise.
"But it is time for him to put up or shut up now because I'm wasting time and energy dealing with his comments.
"I genuinely thought he was great in his last fight and he really impressed me. He's a very good and a tough fighter, but he's all talk. I've told him if the fight isn't going to happen, let's hold a sparring session, let people pay to watch and give the money to charity."
Coyle will leave his English title opponent to be sorted out over the next few weeks as he heads to America for training in New York and Las Vegas, where he will spar with Diego Magdaleno, ranked the number six super featherweight in the world.
"It's a great opportunity and one I'm throwing myself into," he added. "These opportunities don't come around too often and I have to thank my sponsors – Neil Hudgell, Cardwell Construction, East Yorkshire Shutters and D-Signs – for helping to fund this trip."