Fire at west Hull industrial park was started by spark from grinder
PLUMES of smoke could be seen across the city after a large fire broke out at an industrial park yesterday.
Nine modular units were destroyed in the fire at the Space Projects Ltd site, off Carlton Street, in west Hull.
Four engines sped to the street after the alarm was raised at about 3.45pm and their crews were met by towering flames and thick smoke, which could be seen all over the city.
Four firefighters in breathing apparatus battled the blaze for around an hour before bringing it under control.
CAR KEYS AND REMOTES "FREE REMOTE KEY FOB BATTERY" 01482 423414 ...View details
FOR ALL YOUR CAR KEY NEEDS CALL US NOW ON
SNAPPED KEYS, LOST KEYS, KEYS LOCKED IN VEHICLES,
WE ALSO REPAIR 90% OF ALL REMOTES AND KEYS, NO FIX NO CHARGE.
Terms: Terms: FREE REMOTE KEY FOB BATTERY ONE PER CUSTOMER
Contact: 01482 423414
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Thermal cameras were also used to make sure no one was trapped inside any of the modular buildings.
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service's tactical officer Rick Phillips explained the cause of the fire.
He said: "The fire was started by a spark from a grinder being used by a worker, which caused the nearest unit to be set alight.
"We were met by a big blaze on our arrival. The whole area was alight and there was a lot of smoke.
"Our priority was to stop the fire spreading.
"There was no one in the buildings at the time but we had to lead some workers in the yard to safety."
The insulation with the modular unit caught fire and acetylene cylinders on the site exploded.
But the fire service said there was no danger to the public.
The site remained cordoned off while crews remained to dampen down the area.
Space Projects Ltd builds modular units which can be used as offices, kitchens, toilets and show blocks.
The company is today assessing the damage.
A spokesman confirmed no one had been injured in the fire but could not comment any further on the scale and cost of the damage caused.