Residents set to leave West Hull street earmarked for demolition
A WEST Hull street earmarked for demolition could be all but empty by the end of next month.
Most of the residents living in Clyde Street are due to move out within a matter of weeks.
Those in the street live in the Hawthorn Avenue area, which was once part of plans to rebuild the Newington and St Andrews ward.
But when the Government came into power in 2010, they axed the scheme, leaving the area in limbo.
Boiler Service only £35
Fire Service only £40
Also Boiler and Fire Service £65 Saving £30 from full prices
Lines open today
Please quote HDM on the phone
Gas Safe Registration number: 506483
Terms: back boilers not included
Contact: 01482 423356
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Residents have since been playing a waiting game, not knowing when, or even if, they would move out.
Donna Phelan, 47, is one of those who has been waiting patiently to move into a new property at Keepmoat's new Amy Johnson development nearby.
She said: "We hoped to move out in July but there have been delays.
"I keep walking by the new house.
"They recently put the roof on and then plastered the walls.
"Now they have done the garden and put in the shed. It is very exciting.
"It's just a matter of a couple of weeks now.
"We hope to move in just after Hull Fair. That would be spot-on."
Despite light at the end of the tunnel, Mrs Phelan admits it has been a difficult period.
She said: "We have been living out of boxes for quite a while now.
"It has really done our heads in but we have had no other option.
"There are a lot of people moving out in the next few weeks.
"I reckon all the home owners will be out by the end of October, with just the landlords to sort themselves out.
"It has been a long wait but I think it will be worth it."
Residents were celebrating 14 months ago when £8 million was clinched from the Regional Growth Fund to kickstart £150 million of development.
But they suffered a setback earlier this year when Housing Minister Grant Shapps decided to defer granting the money amid concerns over the number of homes being demolished.
Hull City Council eventually received a verbal agreement from the Government's housing minister over the release of the £8 million.
Councillor Lynn Petrini has been fighting for the residents.
She said: "Residents have had many ups and downs round here in the last couple of years.
"Quite a few have been waiting for new-builds and have been happy to wait.
"Most will move out in October and they are delighted.
" It is great news."
But Ms Petrini admits it isn't good for all residents in the area. Some houses in Hawthorn Avenue and all of White Street will remain with refurbished fronts.
Ms Petrini said: "I can only imagine how the people in these homes feel.
"Unfortunately, this was something agreed by the last administration and we can't do anything about it.
"But we will make sure the refurbishment takes place to a high standard."
Once Clyde Street is empty, the homes could be demolished just a few weeks later with the hope they will eventually be replaced with new houses.